Monday, 8 August 2011

Todmorden Curve - The latest from LCC

Dear Mr Jones

I write further to your e-mail to Chris Anslow dated 24 June 2011 and apologise for the delay in replying.

It is certainly very good to see the level of support the Minister of State for Transport is giving to the Todmorden Curve project. As you will be aware, the bid into the Regional Growth Fund has been submitted and we await the Government's response. In the meantime, work is continuing to develop the full rail industry business case. This work should be completed by the autumn.


I hope this explains the current position but I you have any further queries then please let me know.

Yours sincerely
Jo Turton - Executive Director for the Environment

From: JONES, Graham [mailto:]
Sent: 24 June 2011 15:20
To: Anslow, Chris
Cc: Dave Welsby; Parkinson, Miles (Cllr); June Harrison; Wendy Dwyer (wendy.dwyer@hyndburnbc.gov.uk)
Subject: Todmorden Curve & No.12 Bus Accrington

Dear Chris,

Yesterday Andrew Stephenson MP (Pendle) raised on the floor the Commons the Todmorden Curve following the previous raising of the issue by Gordon Birtwistle and myself here and here). I thought it may be beneficial to to ask for an update.
T9. [61534] Andrew Stephenson (Pendle) (Con): Will my right hon. Friend update the House on what progress has been made on the reopening of the Todmorden curve, which will provide a faster rail route between East Lancashire and Manchester?
Mrs Villiers: I am very much aware of the potential benefits of that project in helping to regenerate an area that is heavily dependent on public sector jobs. For precisely those reasons, it would be an impressive candidate for funding from the regional growth fund. I understand that the local authorities are working on that at the moment. I pay tribute to the work done by those in Burnley and on Lancashire county council on getting the project moving. My officials stand ready, and are indeed working with the local authorities, to see how we might be able to help to take things forward. This is primarily a local matter, but there is the real prospect of a successful RGF bid.
Graham Jones MP
House of Commons
LONDON
SW1A 0AA