The No Smoking Day campaign is now in its 30th year. It helped more than 760,000 people quit smoking last year and inspired another 1.5 million to seek out information to help them quit in future.
No Smoking Day 2013 will be on Wednesday 13 March (this Wednesday!). This year's theme is 'swap fags for swag' so we'll be highlighting the financial benefits of quitting. The average 20-a-day smoker could save £7 a day, £49 a week, £210 a month and £2,555 a year if they quit.
Like everyone else supporting National No Smoking Day, I would like to encourage thousands of smokers in the area to ‘swap fags for swag’ by quitting on No Smoking Day on Wednesday 13 March.
As part of the campaign I am supporting the annual health campaign, run by the British Heart Foundation (BHF), which shows how smokers could treat themselves to all sorts of ‘swag’ if they quit for a day, saving £7, a week (£49), a month (£210) and a year (£2,555).
Stopping smoking is not only one of the best things you can do to boost your health but it’s great for your bank balance as well. Quitting can be difficult, but there is lots of local support available and working out what you could afford to buy is a great motivator. I’d encourage everyone in the Haslingden and Hyndburn to give it a go and join thousands of others trying to quit on the day.”
Vishnee Sauntoo, No Smoking Day campaign manager at the BHF, said: “More than 750,000 smokers all try and quit on No Smoking Day, so it’s a great time to give it a go if you smoke and really want to quit.
“Your cigarette money really adds up, so whether you want to swap your day’s packet of 20 for a new lipstick, save for a week and take your kids to the cinema, or save for a whole year and reward yourself with a holiday of a lifetime there are lots of fun – and healthier – ways to spend your money.
“We’re here to help you every step of the way, so great ready to join in and swap fags for swag.”
If you want to help the campaign you can:
· Visit wequit.co.uk for more information on the benefits of quitting as well as top quit tips
· Find out what activity is going on in your area here.
· Become a fan of our No Smoking Day Facebook page, follow @NoSmokingDay on Twitter and tweet with the hashtag #NoSmokingDay (for example, ‘Good luck to smokers swapping fags for swag by quitting today @NoSmokingDay Did you know you could save £2555 a year? #NoSmokingDay’)
· Try out our brilliant new game to find out exactly how much you could save and what luxury treats you could spend your money on instead.
· Support your local stop smoking services here
wequit.co.uk |facebook.com/nosmokingday |twitter.com/nosmokingday