To mark the launch the Carers Week partnership has published a report Prepared to Care? exploring the impact of caring on people’s lives. Prepared to Care? concludes with six recommendations from carers about what they need to help them manage their caring role:
1. Better public understanding and recognition of carers.Every day 6,000 people take on new caring responsibilities in the UK. From day one they need access to the right support, advice and information. There are a number of things that you could do to help support carers more:
2. Access to information and the right support from the beginning.
3. Professionals understanding the role of carers and sharing information, decision making and planning with them.
4. Access to high quality practical and emotional support and information as well as breaks from caring.
5. Flexible working practices and understanding from employers.
6. Financial support and a fair and easy to navigate welfare system.
Carers Week Manager
Carers Week, 20 Great Dover Street, London SE1 4LX
T - 020 7378 4955 F - 020 7378 9781 www.carersweek.org