Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Don’t let your loved ones fall victim to Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Lynn Griffiths, the founder of the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity will launch the charity’s 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week at the House of Lords this Monday 18th November 2013.

The mother-of-four set up the charity over eight years ago, after she and her family suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning for over a decade.

“It is shocking that despite living in the ‘information age’ people still don't realise that carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless highly toxic gas that can kill in under three minutes !!



Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of any hydrocarbon fuel e.g. coal, charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas and liquid petroleum gas (LPG).

“Poisoning can have a devastating effect and the more people are aware of the signs and symptoms, especially at the initial stages, the more chance we have of preventing avoidable deaths or injuries.” Those poisoned by just low levels of carbon monoxide can go on to develop long term chronic health problems.

People can help protect themselves by making sure they and their families have all their fuel burning appliances serviced every year. Their chimney swept once or twice a year and by installing a carbon monoxide alarm in the “correct place” in their home, caravan or boat.

Due to lack of donations this year the charity finds it’s unable to take its message to many parts of the UK like it has done for the last seven years.

Therefore Lynn is pleading to MP's, councillors, housing associations and the media to all pledge their support to the charity's 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week this year to help the charity reach the people it can’t. “Please don't let someone you love/know or someone working/living in “YOUR” community fall victim to this silent killer” Lynn said.

It is absolutely vital that people start to understand the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and, most importantly, how we can all protect our homes and families from this silent invisible killer.

ENDS:

General advice:
New updated website from Monday 18th November: www.covictim.org
Gas and Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) appliances should be serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Solid fuel appliances should be serviced by a solid fuel HETAS registered engineer.
Oil fuelled appliances should be serviced by an OFTEC registered engineer.

Notes for editors:

Charity's 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week launch event will take place from the House of Lords. Some of those who have lost loved ones to carbon monoxide and those who have been effected by this silent killer are expected to attend tomorrow event.

Charity's 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week Aims:

1. Raise awareness about the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide.

2. To make the public aware: All hydrocarbon fuel (charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, natural gas, liquid petroleum gas (LPG) appliances need to be serviced every year.

3. Homeowners (with gas appliances) can apply for a "free gas safety check via their gas provider" if they are on a qualifying benefit.

4. To make the public aware their chimney needs to be swept once or twice a year.

5. Promote the charity's FREE Carbon Monoxide Android Phone App and NEW website which won't go live until Monday 18th November. The old website will still remain in place until Monday.

6. To try and make sure the public start to understand a carbon monoxide alarm is "NEVER" a substitute for the correct installation or servicing of ANY gas, oil, wood or coal burning appliances.

7. Fit a carbon monoxide alarm in the correct place.

A range of carbon monoxide posters and leaflets will be available from the charity’s website: www.covictim.org along with the charity’s free downloadable Carbon Monoxide Awareness Android Phone App from Monday 18th November.

The World Health Organisation recommendations advise that people should not be exposed to more than SIX parts per million of carbon monoxide over a 24-hour period.

A carbon monoxide alarm won't go off at anything below 30 parts per million this is why the charity believes awareness is the only way to help prevent deaths and injuries from carbon monoxide.

Three things Lynn would like to see come out of the charity's 8th National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week:

1. A better understanding from the public regarding the danger of carbon monoxide.

2. A very much needed clinic for the many victims of carbon monoxide poison. Run by doctors who have an interest in carbon monoxide. This has been Lynn’s dream for over eight year and I am sure will continue to be just a dream for many more years to come.

3. Government Ministers, Councils and Housing associations UK wide to work with the charity to try to prevent even more deaths and injuries from this silent killer.

Anyone wishing to make a donation to the charity can do so here:

http://www.everyclick.com/carbon-monoxide-awareness-limited/1125755/0/info

Contacts:

Lynn directly on 07715 899296 or email LynnCoAwareness@aol.com
Tony Brunton (charity chair, expert witness and tech advisor) directly on 07711079428
email agb@live.co.uk
Carbon Monoxide Awareness. Independent registered charity run "entirely" by volunteers.
Charity No. 1125755
Website: www.co-awareness.org and www.covictim.org