Friday, 28 February 2014

Business conversation event with Lancashire businesses

This morning I took part in a business conversation event with Lancashire businesses at Ewood Park, Blackburn. The event was organised by Downtown Business and attended by local businesses, higher education providers and local entrepreneurs.

Michael Taylor was the host and following a brief introduction about how my grandmother ran her own business whilst my granddad worked for the same company all his life, I fielded questions from the audience.

We spoke about HS2, local transport infrastructure, the importance of education and training, addressing the imbalance of UK Plc towards the south east and how we in East Lancashire can be ahead of the curve in competing for the skills and jobs of the future.

During my time in office I have worked hard to make sure I listen to small and medium enterprises in the constituency and to do what I can to make the case for East Lancashire businesses in Westminster. We have a lot to be proud of and great opportunities to grow further and it's for politicians to make sure that the right infrastructure, right skills and right strategy are in place to harness this potential.

Thank you to Downtown for organising the event, Ewood Park for hosting the event and to the businesses that attended for their questions and time this morning.