Friday, 21 March 2014
This budget showed you are worse off under the Tories with no action to deal with the cost of living crisis most of us face
The Chancellor boasted about how well things are going, but it was a totally out of touch Budget for hardworking people in Haslingden and Hyndburn who are facing a cost-of-living crisis.
After nearly four years of the Tories, wages are £1,600 a year lower and as a result hardworking families are not feeling any economic recovery at all.
David Cameron and George Osborne can’t deliver a recovery for the many because they stand up for a privileged few. They cut the top rate of tax for people earning over £150,000, while everyone else is worse off.
We need a recovery for the many, not just a few at the top. Britain needs a Labour government that will freeze energy bills until 2017, cut taxes for 24 million working people on middle and low incomes, expand free childcare for working parents of 3 and 4 year olds and get more young people back to work.
Labour will deal with the cost of living crisis head on. We would:
· Freeze energy bills until 2017 and reform the broken energy market.
· Introduce a Compulsory Jobs Guarantee to get young people and the long-term unemployed back to work
· Expand free childcare for working parents to 25 hours a week for 3 and 4 year olds
· Cut taxes for 24 million working people on middle and low incomes with a lower 10p starting rate of income tax
· Cut business rates for small firms and get 200,000 homes built a year by 2020
· Balance the books as soon as possible in the next Parliament, in a fairer way including reversing the £3 billion tax cut for people earning over £150,000.